Monday, April 16, 2007

DSE: Word on the Street: Torture "happens," says vox populi

WORD ON THE STREET: Torture “happens”, says vox populi

By Liam Stack
First Published: April 13, 2007

According to a report published earlier this week by human rights group Amnesty International, Egyptian authorities are systematically abusing prisoners — including torture and years of detention without trial.

The rights group warned that recent changes in Egypt’s constitution could further increase such abuses. The Al Jazeera Documentary Channel recently aired a program which alleged police torture in stations and precincts.

But the Egyptian government has repeatedly denied such reports saying that there are attempts to tarnish the image and reputation of this country.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying that the authorities were actively working to promote awareness of and respect for human rights in the country.

The Daily Star Egypt took to the streets of Cairo and asked people their thoughts on the issue.

“People say it happens here a lot, but I don’t know how much it really does. I haven’t seen the show on Al Jazeera about it but I saw a clip on YouTube about a bus driver getting raped in jail, and it was really bad.”

Mohamed, 22, student, Zamalek.

“Of course there is torture here, its normal — it’s just the way the police always do things. I don’t think it’s a good thing but it’s hard to make them stop. A lot of the police here are low-class people. I haven’t seen that documentary but you know it happens.”

Omar, 25, student, Heliopolis.

“I don’t know anything about prison, thank God. I have never been arrested and no one in my family has ever been arrested, thank God. Egypt is a great country, but our lives here are hard.”

Mohamed, 46, taxi driver, Downtown.

“Well I haven’t seen the documentary so I can’t really comment. But I would imagine that it’s going on for sure and that it’s pretty wide spread. You really shouldn’t be asking random people questions like this, unless you want to find out for yourself how much torture there is in jails here.”

Ghada, 26, marketing executive, Heliopolis.

“I don’t know how much torture happens here but you hear about it a lot. My friend saw a video clip on the internet about a man being treated badly in a police station, but I didn’t want to watch it. I haven’t seen any movie about it on Al Jazeera either.”

Mona, 31, business woman, Dokki.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home